Trent got off early on the Friday after his birthday so we decided to check him out of school at lunch time and take him out to lunch. There really aren't many choices to choose from around here, but the favorite by far is Blueberry Hills. Yummy food and beautiful views. Then I let him skip the rest of school and we took him in to Trent's clinic to have his finger x-rayed. He hurt it really bad at football practice and was certain it was broken. It wasn't. Then went and shopped for his birthday party that was going to be the next night.
I haven't really done 'friend' birthday parties for a really long time. So I decided we'd let him do a friend birthday party this year. We bought a projector and a big screen so that he could do an outdoor movie. We got pizza, 11 boys devoured 5 pizzas in less than 5 minutes. There wasn't a single slice left. I had Carter choose a movie theater box of candy for each of his friends. I wrapped them all up and we played a left-right game with them. After the left-right story was read we went around the circle once so they could unwrap their candy, keep it or trade it. I think there was enough candy that all were happy with their choices. They had sherbet floats, popcorn, licorice, and candy. Then we started the movie. We picked Remember the Titans. I think they all really loved it. Well, except Carter...we turned on the outside lights when the movie was over, started picking up blankets and noticed Carter was fast asleep. He fell asleep at his own party! That's totally something I would do. I think he had a great time even if he fell asleep at his party.
His friends know him well and spoiled him with fishing gear, treats, a BYU helmet, and cash. He was one spoiled kid! I think all had a great time.
That is until the next morning when I got a message from one of the parents letting me know that her son and gotten hurt at our house the night before. I guess he and one other boy were messing around on a skateboard and he fell on his wrist and hurt it really bad. He didn't break it, but he sprained it pretty good. I felt SO bad! Mostly because we had no idea that he had hurt it, and had we known Trent could have taken a look at it then and they wouldn't have had to go to the ER at midnight. She was really laid back about it acknowledged that her son was messing around and then didn't say anything. She just wanted to know if I had seen it happen and to let us know that it did happen since her son didn't say anything about it. We had Carter make him cookies and go for a quick visit the next day to check on him and so I could once again apologize to his mom for now knowing about it.


No comments:
Post a Comment