Monday, March 18, 2019

Basketball

November and December brought basketball season for Carter. The day after football ended basketball practices started. I was hoping for a few weeks break between the two...nope, didn't happen.

The middle school has two teams, A team and B team. A team being the better of the two teams. Carter made the A team. Only 7th and 8th graders can play and A team is usually made up of 8th graders so he was pretty excited to have made A team as a 7th grader.

Games started just before Thanksgiving and went until just before Christmas break. We went to all his home games and the away games that were close enough, some of the games were 3 hours away.

As I was sitting at the first game I realized that I was the only one making a lot of noise. No other parents were cheering as loudly as I was...then I decided I didn't care. Those kids would know that someone was in the stand rooting for them, even if they weren't my kid. I thought at one time that maybe I was embarrassing Carter. That my being so loud was annoying to him. So I asked him. He loves it! He says his teammates love it. So I carried on. One night I was chatting with a friend next to me and I see Carter from across the court signaling to me that I'm not being loud enough, he wanted me to cheer more. Other parents eventually caught on too and we all enjoyed watching our boys and cheering for their successes.

 A team won only 1 game. B team won all their games, some by a landslide.

On the night of the last game Carter called me at 3:45 to let me know they wanted him to play both A & B team that night. B team plays before A team. The game starts at 4. Oh my, we rushed to get everyone ready and out the door. Hanna was still at afters over at the elementary school and Hunter would have basketball practice as soon as Hanna was done at afters.

We got to the middle school before the game started and I ran back and forth between the elementary school and the middle school getting Hanna from afters and leaving Hunter for basketball, then going back for Hunter an hour later.

I didn't take any pictures during other games, so I made sure to bring my nice camera so I could get some good shots. Guess what wasn't charged...I had a dead battery in my camera. I didn't even think to check it before we left. So I had to settle for cell phone pictures, and I don't even have a very good cell phone.

Lucky for me my friend, who's son plays on B team, was there taking pictures with her nice camera and she got a few awesome shots of Carter. So glad for good friends who save my bacon more times than I can count!

Over all I think Carter had a great time playing, even if they lost. His coach was awesome! He did a great job giving all kids playing time. He had endless amounts of patience with the boys.

1 comment:

Roberts Family said...

Judging by those pictures it looks like they played super well and won! He looks like he's a great little player!