Thursday, February 28, 2019

First day of school

School started on the last Wednesday of August this year. In years past it has always started on the Tuesday after Labor Day. Though we don't get out any earlier this year, still the second week of June, they went back 3 days earlier to give them extra time off at Christmas.

Carter started 7th grade this year. He does really well in school and LOVES being over at the middle school. He plays clarinet in the band. He will be in an 8th grade math course to give him a little bit of a challenge.

Hanna is starting 5th grade. She loves school and enjoys learning so much. She decided to be a peer leader this year so every Monday she has a class after school, we call them afters, where they plan all the assemblies for the other students.

Hunter is going into 2nd grade. He is such a good student. Learning comes easy for him. He excels at math and reading. We are so excited to see how he grows this year.

Andrew started preschool a few weeks after the big kids went back to school. Our school has a free preschool for those who qualify and then a few spots for other kids as well. It was on a first come first served basis so I made sure I was there very first to sign him up as I knew we didn't qualify for the other spots. He was so excited to go to school! It is 4 days a week from 8:30-11. He can ride the bus to and from preschool. Everyday for weeks he'd ask if he got to go to school. We had to tell him each day how many more days it was till he got to ride the bus to school. He insisted that he ride the bus for his first day of school. So I put him on the bus and didn't even go to the school. I'm sure I was the only parent that didn't show up for their kids first day of preschool. I may have choked up just a bit as the bus drove off. This kid has been by my side for the last (almost) 5 years. It was strange to not have him with me all the time.

With the start of school came the start of football season. Trent volunteers for the schools as a concision specialist but also just to help with other injuries. I love it when were sitting in the stands and someone yells from the field 'hey doc, we need you down here.' Though he's pretty good and getting down to the field if he sees something that needs his help. Every Friday we'd either be at a Manson game or a Chelan game. I love going to the games! There's not much else to do around here on a Friday night and I just enjoy watching the kids play. I'd usually go with all the kids till half time then go home as Malia was ready for bed and the other kids were tired too. If it was a Manson game I'd go back after getting Malia to bed. Hanna would stay up and babysit. It was the perfect solution. She is old enough to babysit and we were only 5 mins away if she needed anything. I couldn't do that for the Chelan games though, it was just too far to drop off and go back...you know like 10 mins away.
This a kid from church, Euan, he'd come hang out with us when we were at Chelan games. He loves to hold Malia and tease Andrew.

No comments: