Thursday, December 6, 2018

Baseball

One of the many things we love about where we live is that our kids get to participate in sports. It is insanely cheap for them to play. You have to buy a membership to AAU (the sports organization) once a year. It is $12/child. Then it's only around $15/child to play whatever sport happens to be in season. In the fall it's soccer, winter is basketball, spring is baseball. All three of the older kids participate in sports all three seasons. That fee includes the uniform. So for baseball it included the pants, hat, shirt, and socks.

In the Spring all 3 were in baseball. There were 6 practices per week, and 3 games per week. Sometimes games were the same time as practices just in different places. Our schedule gets a might bit crazy at times during sports seasons! Many nights we ate dinner at the park. One night we had two games at the same time, just on different fields. I sat right between the two fields so I could watch them both. That happened to be the only day I took pictures. Hunter and Carter happened to be playing, so I never got any pictures of Hanna playing. Though, she says softball is her favorite sport.

Carter's very first game I told him I'd give him $10 if he hit a home run. He got up to bat and the pitcher was walking everyone, his skill wasn't quite there yet. Carter got hit by the pitch and begged to get a hit instead of taking his base. So they let him. He hit a good one and got his home run on a wild pitch!  I never made that offer again. He was a pretty reliable hitter this year, hardly striking out. he hit more than one home run. I loved it when the other team would see him come up to bat and they'd all scoot a little further back in the out field.  He really got good during this last season of baseball. It is the last year that he'll be able to play AAU because it only goes to 6th grade. He also helped with the high school baseball team and really enjoyed that. He got to practice with them and go to all their games. They don't let middle school kids play on the high school team, but they are able to practice with them and help manage the team. As a 6th grader helping the high school team he felt pretty important and LOVED it!

This was Hunter's second year playing t-ball/baseball. Last year my friend, Sara, and I coached the t-ball team. The kindergarten team doesn't have games so we just held practice two times a week. I was so surprised at how well Hunter and Maddox (Sara's boy, and Hunter's best friend) could throw and catch a ball compared to the other kids their age. They were both so good! This year during the game the coach would pitch 3 times to the kids and if they couldn't get a hit then a tee was brought in.

Hunter really surprises me with how athletic he is. He could usually get a hit off a pitch, where most kids on his team (1st & 2nd graders) could not. He hit many home runs and could even catch the ball and throw it to his teammates. He really loved playing catcher though his coach really wanted him to play first base.
Hunter as catcher
Home run for Hunter!

Hanna's skill increased so much from last year too!  She tried pitching. Though it could still use much practice, she did get better. Her hitting got better too. Her team was made up of 3rd and 4th graders. The pitcher got to pitch 4 times and if they didn't get 3 strikes or a hit after that then the coach was brought in to pitch until they either got a hit or struck out. It helped to move the games along as the kids skill in pitching just isn't there yet. I love that she enjoys playing softball and hope she stays with it.

This year Carter really wanted to pitch. Trent bought a pitching net and Carter would spend hours each day practicing into it. He did really well as long as he focused on accuracy vs. speed. His practicing paid off and he was selected as one of the pitchers on the team. His team was made up of 5th and 6th graders. Trent helped coach his team this year too. His team was undefeated.
Carter pitching


I found that I LOVE watching my kids play sports. I may be the loudest mother out there yelling at their kid...good yells, I promise...so maybe we could call it very loudly cheering :) I love to see how their skills have increased and to see them have fun, no matter what the score says.

No comments: