So, I've decided it's time to catch up on all the blogging that I've been needing to do for weeks now. So I guess I'll work from the most recent and work backwards.
Carter's birthday was so fun, thank you to all of you who came to his little party, what's a party without friends to share it with!
I was so impressed with my skills are making the pirate cake he so desperatly wanted. You have to understand that I've got NO cake decorating skill AT ALL, I knew this was going to be a challenge for me. I looked in the stores, I could buy a pirate cake for around $50, yeah no. So I found this cake on prarents.com and thought I'd give it a shot, they even had video for me to see how it was done, I thought how on earth could I screw it up. Well I'm sure I could, but it looked simple enough.
I was so impressed with my skills are making the pirate cake he so desperatly wanted. You have to understand that I've got NO cake decorating skill AT ALL, I knew this was going to be a challenge for me. I looked in the stores, I could buy a pirate cake for around $50, yeah no. So I found this cake on prarents.com and thought I'd give it a shot, they even had video for me to see how it was done, I thought how on earth could I screw it up. Well I'm sure I could, but it looked simple enough.
Problem #1: My mother told me she had decorating tips so I didn't need to worry about buying the 3 tips that I'd be needing. WELL she has the tip alright, but no the little peice that you put into the bag that the tip screws onto. Of course I waited till Saturday afternoon, 2 hours before the party started to decorate the cake. I was alone at my parents house without a car to get to the store to just buy what I needed, so I got a little creative. Duct tape fixes everything.....right?! I snipped a little tiny hole into the baggie, slipped in the tip and then DUCT TAPED it inplace. I was quite proud of my little invention, and it worked pretty well.
Problem # 2: Well okay, it should have been number 1, but oh well. You make this cake using two 9x13 cakes. Well I baked them in two different pans. One was a little narrower and a little thicker than the other one, so when I connected the peices it hung funny on the back. My fix...I just shoved some of the peices that I cut off under it to make it look even. Before it was frosted it looked pretty white trashish, but once the frosting was on I couldn't even tell.
Problem # 2: Well okay, it should have been number 1, but oh well. You make this cake using two 9x13 cakes. Well I baked them in two different pans. One was a little narrower and a little thicker than the other one, so when I connected the peices it hung funny on the back. My fix...I just shoved some of the peices that I cut off under it to make it look even. Before it was frosted it looked pretty white trashish, but once the frosting was on I couldn't even tell.
Here is the final peice of work. I thought I did pretty dang good, I was very impressed with my skills!
This was the backup cake, just in case the one I made didn't turn out. My sisters, Jodi, friend did this one, she is pretty amazing with her decorating skills.
Love the markings Andrew left on McKenna!
3 comments:
I love how fat McKenna looks in that picture.
McKenna you look great! I first thought it was bird poo.
Janel your cake turned out beautifully. I was a pansy and Collin got a 15$ cake from costco. Carter got way better memories.
Cute cake good job
Post a Comment