We had a wonderful Christmas! We spent Christmas Eve with some good friends from our ward. We ate yummy food, chatted, decorated gingerbread houses, played games, and ate more yummy food. They left about 8pm and we video chatted with Grandma and Grandpa Hunter in Orem while the kids opened their traditional gift from them. They were all thrilled with their new jammies and I got no pictures of the night.
Santa came as soon as the we were all settled and asleep. I love the stillness of Christmas Eve. The lights on the tree, the stockings all filled. I love the surprise on the kids faces when they come down Christmas morning and see what is there. I really just love Christmas, and this year was no exception. The kids were thrilled with what they got. There were shrieks of excitement, even though the gifts were for the most part pretty simple, they loved it. The kids each drew a name and bought that sibling a gift. They did such a good job of thinking of their sibling and what they liked.
I always make the kids wait till we are up before then can come down the stairs. I usually have them line up on the stairs to take a picture, but they were in a hurry and Trent took this one before I was even out of the bathroom.
Stockings come first. Their stockings stuffers were pretty simple. Underwear and socks for most of them. A couple treats. They each got a Slide Waters ticket (that is the water slide park here). Hanna got jewelry, Carter a new watch, Hunter Sea Hawks stuff. Drew got some small Paw Patrol figures. They all got new toothbrushes, Carter and Hanna got kids Sonicare toothbrushes. Even though the gifts were pretty simple, they were even excited to see new socks, toothbrushes, even underwear.
We take turns opening presents. One person at a time, starting with the youngest. I like it that way so we can see what each other is getting. Andrew gets to go first. He made out like a bandit. He got a train from Papa and Grandma Lyman, Santa brought him a Paw Patrol play set, Hanna got him a Paw Patrol truck, he got a Paw Patrol book and magnadoodle set, Paw Patrol bowl and plate set, and a PJ Masks play set. He was in heaven. He's been playing with his new toys nonstop since he got them.
Trent's big present was a new tablet. Since his last one was stolen in the move I figured it was time to replace it. I got a really good deal on a Samsung Galaxy tablet from Costco. I think he like it! He also got a weather station and an ammo box (thank you Costco for inspiring me in my gift giving). I got a wheat grinder, a hand crank one as well a motor to go with the hand crank. That way it can be used even without power. I also got a cake stand that I've been wanting. We got tons of new games to play and a few new DVD's too. In the last year or two we have really started enjoying playing games with the kids. It has been fun to add to the game collection each year. We also got another family gift...Carter was most excited about it....a .22 gun. It was the last gift opened and everyone had to have a turn with it.
Hunter opened all his gifts with the gloves he got in his stocking as well as his Sea Hawks hat. He got an apron in his stocking. He loves to help me cook and I always wear an apron, so he wanted one too. Santa brought him some new car tracks. Andrew had his name and got him the game of Life. He was thrilled and the game has already been played multiple times. Hunter LOVES to play games and would play all day long if someone would only play with him. Papa Blair and Grandma Rhonda got him goalie gloves and some candy. He loved playing soccer this last fall and really enjoyed playing goalie, but he didn't have a pair of gloves. He does now and is super excited to play soccer again. He also got a Bad Kitty book set, some new track pants, and a new puffy coat. A few years ago a friend had given him a hand-me-down puffy coat. He loved it. He never wanted to take a day off wearing it to wash it. He wore it for a couple of years and it just became too small. And it had a hole in it. I had to throw it away while he was at school so he couldn't see where it went. He loved that coat, so he was super excited to get a new one.
Hanna couldn't have been more thrilled with the gifts she got this year! She also got track pants, a Wings of Fire book set, and a new dress (which she desperately needed!). Papa Blair and Grandma Rhonda got her the new holiday barbie, she looks forward to that each year. Santa brought her a barbie with a horse. She is so into horses right now so she was super thrilled with that. Carter had her name and bought her a slim making kit. I don't think there is a day that goes by that she doesn't ask to make slime. It was a perfect gift for her.
Surprise! Carter got track pants too (they all asked for them and Costco had a crazy good sale on them, I saw no reason not to stock up!) He got a book set from an author that I met at the gift expo while we were in UT, she also happens to be a patient of my dads. The books are a cross between Hunger Games and Divergent. They sounded really good, hopefully they are. I can't wait for him to be done reading them so I can read them too. He also go some very much needed pajama pants. Santa brought him a drone, which he was stocked to get. Hunter had his name and got him a new BYU hoodie. He LOVED it and put it on as soon as he took it out of the box. He has worn it everyday since. The BYU pajama pants and beanie came from Grandma and Grandpa Hunter, he loved them. He loves all things BYU. Grandma and Grandpa Lyman gave him a Lego set.
After all the opening of presents we made our traditional Christmas breakfast. It is the same Christmas breakfast that I've had my whole life. I love it and love that I can share it with my kids. It's nothing fancy, but the memories with it are tied close to my heart. Every year growing up we'd go to my grandma Hunter's for Christmas breakfast. She always had the same thing, buttermilk pancakes, chocolate milk, sausages, and scrambled eggs. So that is what I make now too. When we are home it it what my mom makes. We still use my grandma Hunter's recipe, it is my favorite. The small difference this year is the kids asked for green onions and pepper jack cheese added to the eggs. Who are these people?!
Right as we were getting breakfast all ready my brother's family showed up at my parents house. His family had my family for Christmas this year and I thought it would be fun to do another video chat while we opened their gifts. He might have gone a little (WAY) over the set amount and spoiled us rotten!! The kids all got new shirts and Lego sets. Hanna and baby sister (which Tyson has named Nugget) got matching outfits, and they spoiled baby Nugget with some seriously cute clothes. I cannot wait to have her here to dress her in them. Andrew loved his new shirts so much that he has to wear both of them at the same time. I cannot convince him that he only needs to wear one of them, he is certain he must wear them both.
We spent much of Christmas break up at the ski hill. Trent taught Hunter how to ski this year. He is a pro at it now. I couldn't believe how well he was doing his 3rd time on ski's. I sat one afternoon in the ski lodge and watched my kids out skiing and tubing. Hanna with Andrew on the tubing hill. Hunter skiing. Hunter crashed and Carter ran to him to make sure he was ok. When it was Hunter's turn to tub with Andrew he pulled two tubs up the hill. It is quite the trek, but he did it for hours with Andrew. I have been blessed with good kids who look out for each other. I couldn't be more blessed to be their mother! The kids went back to school today and Andrew is really missing them. He loves when they are around.






1 comment:
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that misses pictures sometimes!! Drives me crazy but I just get caught up in the moment and forget. The other pictures definitely made up for it though. I love the joy on their little faces! It sounds like Christmas was a success and how fun to be able to go skiing!
Post a Comment