As I was praying and thanking Heavenly Father for a great Christmas and
how wonderful it was to see my kids enjoy the gifts we got them I had
several thoughts come to my mind and wanted to got them down before I
went to bed.
As kids, heck even as adults, we can all remember when we got that great
amazing gift we always wanted. Our faces lit up, we jumped and clapped
with joy, and maybe even squealed a little. Went we got back to school
we were sure to tell everyone about our great gift. Heck we may even
have called our best friend on the phone or posted it to Facebook, or
even blogged about it. It is sobering to think that we have so much joy
in worldly presents that are really so short lived. Think back to last
Christmas, can you remember what you got? I can't (I'm sure my wife can,
she remembers everything). We glean from Christmas such a short lived
joy from secular pleasures and things.
It is ironic to me that Christmas, a day to remember the birth of our
Savior, is filled with secular giving and hardly a thought is given to
Christ. The greatest gift that can ever be given, that of life, was
given by Jesus Christ. Our Heavenly Father gave Christ as a gift to us,
and Christ selflessly gave himself. What better present could anyone ask
for? How do I treat this blessed gift? Do I jump for joy, clap my
hands, and tell all my friends? or has it just become so ordinary and
mundane that I treat it as old news?
I truly feel blessed to know the gospel of Christ. To know the plan of
salvation. It gives me hope and peace. It makes me want to be and do
better, knowing that through Christ I can change and be better. I am
often afraid to share with others the greatest gift I have ever
received, because I don't want to offend them. It seems so absurd. I
never had a friend be offended because I shared with them my joy and
happiness from a gift I received. Why should I think differently now?
No comments:
Post a Comment