Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Can you see me shaking my head....

Carter has always been a very active, mischievous, inquiring kid. One day, he was probably around 20 months old, I left him in the front room and went and did my hair. I knew something wasn't quite right when there was no noise coming from the front room. I went in to check on him, sure enough he was into something. The desitin. It was summerish time outside so he was wearing his shorts and tee shirt pj's. He was sitting in our rocking chair and was pasty white from head to toe. Seriously, there wasn't a spot on him that wasn't covered in desitin. He had even spiked his hair with it. It was painted on his eyes, like eye shadow. All down his legs, all over his arms. Oh, and ALL over my chair. I was livid, for about two seconds, until I found the absolute humor in it. Really, that was some seriously good body painting. And he looked so dang funny! But, have you ever tried to wash that stuff off?! IT DOESN'T COME OFF! I striped him down, threw his pj's in the garbage and stuck him in the bathtub. I let him play for a bit, scrubbed him from head to toe for what seemed like an hour, and then went and attacked the chair. I'm amazed it came out. Where's the pictures....um, yeah, I didn't take any and I've been kicking myself ever since. It would have been so very easy to be angry with him for getting in to that stuff, but really, think about it, I was the one who left it out. So really it's my fault, he was just doing his job as a kid and getting into things, discovering his world one might say.

A few days later, NO JOKE just a couple of days later. I was once again in the bathroom doing my hair. I could hear no noise coming from the front room, so out I went to see what the heck was going on. There was Carter, sitting in the kitchen on the floor. A chair had been pushed up to the counter and he had the bottle of syrup and the peanut butter bottle. He had drizzled syrup ALL down the counter, it was ALL over the rug in front of the sink, and he was painting with it, and peanut butter all over the floor. Once again, the anger flowed into me, and then very quickly left. Guess I shouldn't have left an open container of peanut butter and a bottle of syrup where an almost two year old could kinda see it. I had to throw the rug away, there was no way that I could have washed it without it falling apart. I had to throw the bottle of peanut butter away as he had FILLED it with syrup and the once pretty full bottle of syrup was now gone. What a sticky mess, and I once again didn't take any pictures. And I once again had to take full responsibility of the mess, after all I was the careless one who left it where an exploring toddler could push a chair to get and play with it.

Folks, today was NO different! However, this time I grabbed the camera. I was sitting in my bedroom at the computer, Hanna was asleep, Carter was watching a show. Hanna wakes up, I go in and get her and walk into the hall. Hmmm, what's that smell? Smells really sweet, kinda like brown sugar. Why would the hall smell like brown sugar? And this is what I find in the front room:
He had helped himself to the container of brown sugar that Trent left on the counter from breakfast this morning. Trent had made himself a bowl of oatmeal and put a little brown sugar in it. Well, Carter thought that would be the best snack! After all, what kid doesn't love to eat a little sugar every now and then. There was sugar all over the floor and couch, thank goodness Trent bought me a dust buster (hand held vacuum) for Christmas!

5 comments:

Jesse said...

Carter's awesome! I can almost picture your face at the sight of the Desitin mess.

Kristin said...

He was such a crack up in primary on Sunday. I wish I could remember all the wisdom he shared with us.

Jenny said...

You are sweet to keep calm. I can't velieve how grown up he is getting. Wow! Lunch????

Shirley said...

Ha ha! Way to go not getting ticked off! :) I've kicked myself for not getting some great picture moments too - because I was too worried about cleaning it up.

Shirley

Anonymous said...

Come what may and love it. Think of the stories you can tell him when he is older!