Wednesday, December 10, 2008

We have a new friend at our house

Over the last couple of weeks Carter has found a new friend. When this friend first came around he was a little scared of him. He had to make sure that Trent locked him up EVERY night or he was scared all night long. Now Carter loves his new friend and we find that he comes with us everywhere. Folks, Carter's new friend is a lion. Yes, we have an imaginary lion at our house. Oh, and he has a name. Provo. Our imaginary lion's name is Provo. I'm still not so sure if Provo is big or little, but he sits in Carters palm when he is showing him to people. Carter carries on full conversations about and with Provo. One night I put him to bed and he started to cry. Confused I checked the way he was tucked in, I made sure he had his blankie, what on earth was wrong. So I did the next thing I could think of, I asked.
mom: Carter what is wrong?
C: Provo (through sobs)
M: Don't worry I'll lock him up (Trent wasn't home to do it)
C: No, we left him
M: What?
C: We left him at Grandmas!
M: That's okay we can get him tomorrow.
C: No, he's so sad we have to go get him!
M: (is now trying so hard not to LAUGH out loud)
After telling Carter that I'd call grandma to put Provo in a nice warm place to sleep and that he'd be okay and we would go get him in the mourning, Carter finally accepted that and fell asleep. Folks, how on earth could I possibly leave the imaginary lion at grandmas?! Really. I got a pretty good laugh about that, in fact I'm still laughing about it weeks later. Ever since that night Provo has never been locked up again. He follows us in the car if we forget him now. Carter will yell from the back seat "OH, do you see Provo running down the street? He's gona catch up to us!" He goes to the doctor with us, he went to dinner with us, and he even has to take time outs when he's been naughty.
Last night while we were in the car Carter called grandma to see if Provo could spend the night (pretending to call). Of course he couldn't, grandma had to work in the morning. So he called Papa Blair (in Rexburg) and papa said he could sleep in the motor home. Provo was so excited, Carter tells us. So off he went to Rexburg to spend the night. Oh the mind of a 3 year old!

13 comments:

Jesse said...

I don't know if you're supposed to feel safe that you have a pet lion to protect you or scared that a lion is prowling around your house.

Kayla said...

Imaginary friends are so fun! I had one and I turned out okay...right? I could tell you a funny story about my cousin who had an imaginary sister named Anita for several years. I wrote a paper on imaginary friends for my childhood development class too. I could find it and you can read it if you want!

Kayla said...

Oh yeah, and my brother had an imaginary power ranger and saber toothed tiger. They got left at preschool one weekend and my brother was crying. It's so funny how real they become!

Erin said...

Hah! That Carter is so funny. You're good mommy to help cultivate his imagination and problem-solving skills.

Heather said...

What I'm wondering is if Clifford and Provo get along? Tell Carter that Uncle Jason is still afraid of Provo so he can't come over to our house.

Katie said...

Provo is a very nice name for a lion! We too have had a new friend but Collin just says "he is a friend and his name is Atchy". He got in trouble the other day and was trying to convince me that it was Atchy and NOT him. Sometimes we have to set a place at the table for him too. I'm glad my boy isn't the only one with friends that no one else can see.

Emily Shaw said...

that is awesome! I was laughing so much! I wonder if Provo is going to be allowed in Primary or not? :) I don't think we'll have enough chairs! :) What a funny little boy!

Leslie said...

At first I thought you were going to say it was a spider or a rat or something, and I was going to gag. But an imaginary lion named Provo? That's awesome!

Dave and Kristin said...

That is hilarious! What a funny kid! I feel like I haven't seen you forever. We need to get together, I'll give you a call!

Rebecka said...

What a sweet boy! I loved reading about Carter and Provo.

Lewis Family said...

That's too funny! What a beautiful family you have. Hope we can keep in touch now that I've found your blog.

Steve and Hailey said...

Oh that is a great story! Just don't let Carter teach Jack about imaginary animals/friends. I think I'm already losing my mind.

mrs. m said...

Carter is so awesome! Natalie has imaginary ghosts that she calls her "ghosties." She talks to them, takes pictures with them, plays with them, you name it! But sometimes Terry and I get a little freaked when she talks to them; we're like "do you see dead people?!" LOL!