Thursday, November 6, 2008

It's nap time, right?

The day Hanna was born Carter LOVED her. He wanted to hold her and kiss her, and then be done with her. When we brought her home from the hospital however things changed. He would tell me to "put baby Hanna back in your belly!" Or if we were leaving to go somewhere he'd say "leave baby Hanna home." I thought: great, I'm going to have a little boy who hates having his little sister around. I'm not really sure when all that changed. One day in June I think it was he asked if he could hold her, and now he wants to do it ALL the time. When Hanna and I went to Europe I thought for sure Carter would miss me just a little bit. The day we got home we went up to my moms house, we got home at 3am so he slept at Grandmas, and I walked through the door expecting to have Carter run to me, after all it had been over two weeks since he'd seen me. The first thing he says is "BABY SISTER!" He was so excited to see her. He wanted to hold her and kiss her, and all he said was hi to me. Now, here I sit, it's 2:30 on this Thursday afternoon thinking, I wish those two would quit playing and just go to sleep. You see, nap time in our house is 1:00, that's right I said 1 and it's now 2:30. They went down a little later than normal, but not too late. We first noticed a problem when Carter is yelling "daddy, help." What?! GO to sleep dude! So in walks Trent, and Carter is IN Hanna's bed with her. She is jumping up and down giggling, and Carter cannot get out. He had turned on the touch lamp that is on the high dresser next to his bed. So, Carter gets a time out, since we decided a few weeks ago that Carter doesn't belong in Hanna's bed and therefore he broke the rules. Okay, time out done, Hanna laid back down, Carter tucked back in. 20 minutes later still awake. My kids usually lay right down and go to sleep, no problems. I'm thinking what's up in there. In I go. Carter has turned on the lamp AGAIN, and is now reading stories to Hanna through the crib bars. Now I realize that is really sweet, but IT'S NAP TIME! Not play time, it's precious quiet time for mom, yes folks, I'm selfish. I NEED the two hours that naps allow for it to be quiet in the house, ahhhhh. So without losing my head I remind Carter that it's nap time, UNPLUG the lamp, and lay both kids back down. 30 seconds later, no noise...ahhhhh....the quiet peace I so love!

Sunday Nov 2nd, he begged for Dad to take their picture



6 comments:

Kayla said...

That is really sweet though. And who knows...10 years from now, they might hate each other (temporarily) again and you will wish for these days! Like the Trace Adkins song says, "You're gonna miss this."

Katie said...

Hanna is going to have such a great body guard in high school. Those great pictures you got of them! Hanna's hair is so dark. I love it!

janabigelow said...

It's okay that you look at my blog! Have you looked at Missy's yet?

Jenny said...

I love it! Funny it is 2:30 and I put the boy down at 1 too....so why is he standing next to me and not sleeping in his bed?

I need my nap too little boy!!

Way to listen to supernanny and get them to bed!!

Love you -did I mention that he keeps saying Fartie...b/c well, he keeps fluffing

Rappleye Family said...

Oh how cute! Carter really is like the sweetest boy and Hannah is a doll! Ya we decided to go private just so no crazy people can view our blog and stuff. Thanks for your email address! Take care!

Rebecka said...

loved reading about your sweet kids.