Way back in September Carter turned 12. I can hardly believe that he is 12, or that I am old enough to have a 12 year old!
He had a pretty quiet birthday week. Between mutual and football practice we didn't have much time on his actual birthday to do anything. We picked up a cake at Costco while we were down there and did cake as soon as the kids got home from school as there wasn't going to be another time that day to do it. He decided that for his birthday dinner he wanted a smoked brisket, and the only time Trent had to do that was on Sunday. So even though his birthday was on Wednesday he didn't get his birthday dinner till Sunday. I didn't even get to his make his requested birthday cake until the following Monday.
We had some pretty crazy weeks. Between football practice and soccer practices we had 6 different practices a week and 3 games on Saturdays. September and October were very busy months! It has felt good the last few weeks to not have anything going on in the evenings or Saturdays. But now we're starting into basketball....6 practices a week, thankfully only 2 games on Saturday as Hunter's age group doesn't have games yet. I don't know why I do this to myself....yes I do, the kids love it and it's good for them to play. Besides, playing sports here is so cheap! Like $12 for basketball is what I think I paid.
Anyway...back to Carter...I was wanting to let him have a birthday party this year, I don't do parties very often, and I was thinking maybe we could fit one in. It just didn't happen, too much going on.
Papa Blair came up from UT to spend the weekend with us, mostly because Carter was going to be ordained a deacon at church on Sunday and he wanted to invite his grandpa to come be apart of that. He would have like to have all his family there, but that just wasn't possible. We're just too far away.
Papa got to be here for Carter's first football game which was really fun. It was a lot of fun to watch him play. This was the first year he has played and he did really well and he loved it! I'm pretty sure there will be more football in our future.
Carter started middle school this year and is loving it! His 5th grade teacher last year recommended that he be put in a higher math class than just 6th grade math. It didn't end up happening, but his teacher is awesome and let him test out of the 6th grade math book. He is in band, playing the clarinet, and really enjoys that. Right now he's in a foods class and loves to cook. If only he'd turn in all his homework he'd have straight A's. He just doesn't turn it in. He says he looses it in his backpack.
Carter is such a good kid! He is kind and respectful at school, his teachers have nothing but praise to tell us about him. He is starting to babysit his younger siblings a little bit (which is SO nice for us!) and the house still stands when we get home. He is so good with the little kids. Andrew loves to play trains with him and Carter is happy to build the train tracks with him. His younger cousins love him and love it when he is around. He is naturally good at sports. He did really well in baseball this year, he loves basketball, and his new found love of playing football. He's a great runner too. Hopefully next year he'll be able to do cross-country as well as football.
He got to go on his first youth temple trip at the fist of this month and really enjoyed it. The temple is 3 hours away from us so getting there is an all day event. I was able to go with him (I serve in the Young Women's) and I loved being there with him!
Life with Carter is an adventure every day!



1 comment:
It's so crazy to have 12 years olds! I still don't believe it sometimes because I don't feel that old. I love the experiences they get because of it though. Haha, I'm always on Treyson about turning in assignments! His get left in his locker for weeks! Grrr. Carter is such a cute boy. So glad he is so good for you!
Post a Comment