Thursday, September 17, 2015

Summer Lovin'

Summer seemed to fly by!  We mostly hung out at home, not doing too much, but we had a great summer!

I was called as the Young Women's President in our ward at the end of April, although I wasn't sustained till the middle of May.  It was a total shock.  As we were leaving UT in April we got a call and was asked for us both to meet with the bishop that Tuesday.  I actually didn't think anything of it.  They called and talked to Trent, they had tried my phone too, but I missed the call because we were still inside my parents house getting ready to go and my phone was outside.  Tuesday Carter had a pack meeting, it would be the first that Trent was in charge of.  I figured the bishop wanted to make Trent's new calling of Cub Master offical.  He was called as assistant cub master when we first moved in and then was asked to be the cub master when the person who was the cub master moved.  We sat down in the bishop's office and he chatted with us for a few minutes, small talk.  Then he turned to me and said 'Well Sister Lyman, we'd like to call you as the Young Women President.'  I think my mouth just dropped open, and I just said 'Oh.'  It took me a few seconds to realize what he just said, but didn't take me long at all to accept the calling.  I love the youth and would love to serve them!  I have LOVED serving in Young Women's these last few months.

Our summer started with me going to girls camp for a week.  Trent's dad and step-mom were able to come and help with kids while I was gone. Which I was so grateful for!  The kids had so much fun with Grandma and Papa.  Grandma took the big kids to the zoo on day, Drew stayed home with Papa, although, I have no doubt he would have loved it.  The first thing Hanna said when she saw Grandma Rhonda was 'will you teach me to sew?' Rhonda asked me where my sewing machine was at, she'd be happy to teach Hanna to sew.  Hang head in shame....I don't own a sewing machine, I don't enjoy sewing at all.  I told her I could borrow one from a friend though, she told me not to worry about it, they'd find something else to do.  Well, when I got home from girls camp Friday morning what do I find....a brand new sewing machine set up, all for Hanna.  Grandma Rhonda had taken Hanna to buy a machine and LOADS of fabric.  What a spoiled little girl.  She loves to sew and actually made her own little purse.

Girls camp was so much fun!  I was a little nervous being away from my kids for so long, but knew they were in good hands.  We went shopping and got me a cot and an air pad, we didn't have a sleeping bag so I just took a few blankets.  I had a very comfy bed!

It was just our ward for girls camp, we had 26 girls that came.  We camped right by a lake, which proved to a bit of a challenge keeping girls feet out of the water when they were supposed to be doing other things.  They had lake time each day where they could go swimming.  It rained every single day for just a little bit. The wind was always around too. It was pretty windy on Wednesday afternoon, we had one tent that just wasn't holding up to the wind very well so we pulled out the poles and laid the tent flat.  Well then it started to rain, so we had to put the tent poles back in to keep the tent pulled tight so that it would stay dry inside.  As the leaders were out putting the tent back up is started to POUR, it didn't rain for too long, maybe 10 minutes, but there were some very wet leaders.  The wind never let up and the poles on that tent snapped, so a new tent had to be set up for the girls in that tent.  Friday morning we got up extra early, 6am, to get ready to go.  We had to be out of our campsite by 10am.  I got up and went up to the bathroom, by the time I got  it was raining. Amazing, pack up camp in the rain.  The girls worked so hard!  By the time it was time to put down the leaders tent it had stopped raining.  I ended up going home about 8am with someone who needed to get back early, we got home just after 10am, everyone else was not too far behind us. By noon everyone was home.  Blair, Rhonda, and Trent left as soon as Trent got home a few hours later to head back to UT for Trent's nephew's wedding. It was a long weekend home alone without Trent, and I was dead tired from being at camp all week.

In July Trent had to take a week of leave, lucky for us that week happened to fall over 4th of July.  We left as soon as we could Thursday, around 11am, and got to UT about 10pm.  We didn't do much on Friday.  Saturday was the 4th, so we thought we'd head out for a hike.  Apparently so did all of UT county.  We went to one of our favorite 'little' hikes, the Grotto, up Payson canyon.  It is a super short hike, but oh so pretty.  We had quite a group that went with us; Julianne, Anthony, baby Blake, Mom, Dad, and Jamie.  I knew there'd be a lot of people up the canyon, but I truly didn't expect it to be packed.  It was hard to find parking, and it was a steady stream of people they whole way there.  We enjoyed ourselves despite the crowds.

My moms boss offered to buy the whole family tickets to Stadium of Fire, it was so awesome!  Journey was the headliner, but they had a couple other bands playing too. There were parachute jumpers who landed in the stadium, dancers, very loud music, and of course awesome fireworks.  Hunter fell asleep while Journey was playing and stayed asleep all the way till the end, even through the loud fireworks. I held him while we were sitting down and then handed him off to Trent when we had to walk back to the car....we should have woken him up and taken him potty before we left, Trent got a bit wet.

We decided that we'd go down to St George to visit with the Flagmeiers for a day while we were home, since it had been two years since we'd seen them and they had not even met Andrew yet.  I'm so glad we decided to go visit!  We had a wonderful little visit, the kids had a blast reconnecting with their friends.  On the way down we planned to stop and drive though Cedar Breaks and do a little hiking.  I didn't realize that it was so far up, over 10,000 feet, it was freezing! And it started to rain, and there was lightening.  They close down the trail we wanted to take when there is lightening because it seems to strike the area often so we didn't end of going hiking, but the view was amazing! Some place we will visit again (but we'll remember jackets, even in the summer)

We went up to the Aquarium with my parents and sisters.  It's always a fun time. Andrew LOVED it, last year he didn't really care too much, but this year I couldn't keep him in the stroller, he wanted to run all over the place.  He even did the net bridge, with just a little help from Dad.

Friday we hung out with our good friends, the Roberts.  Wish we would have had more time to hang out with them, it's always fun to be with them and the kids love it too:)  We went to the Thanksgiving Point Farm, spend a while there then went back to their house for dinner.  The kids had so much fun at the farm.  I think the highlight, every time we go, is ridding the ponies.  This was Drew's first time and he loved it.  He loved the whole farm, he loved seeing the animals, loved touching them when he could, and he loved feeding them. I though he might be a bit scared of the goats, but he giggled and laughed every time they'd lick his hands. Hunter was very selective with which goats he'd feed, he kept pushing bigger ones away to feed the smaller ones, it didn't always work, but he sure tried.  We had so much fun being with the Roberts!  It always amazes me that no matter how much time has passed, we can pick up right where we left off, kids and adults.  Kids played like they have been friends forever, not like friends who moved away 2 years ago and we hardly see anymore. It was a fun day for sure!

While we were at the Aquarium on Thursday we ran into our old neighbor, Matt.  So we decided we need to visit with them also.  They moved up to Murray so we went up there Saturday evening for dinner.  The kids loved playing with their dogs and we enjoyed renewing our friendship with them.  They were such fun neighbors to have.  Good neighbors are such a blessing!

It seemed that everyday we had plans, but we didn't get to do/see near as much as we'd have like to.  There were many people that we didn't get to visit this trip, we had to squeeze it all into a few days, not like last year when we had 3 weeks to see people and do things. But overall we enjoyed our time home and can't wait to visit again.

No comments: