Last April (or maybe it was May) I was sitting upstairs in our house on Fort Sam Houston feeding Andrew. Hunter was downstairs watching a show. I had locked the back to to make sure he wouldn't leave without me knowing about it....or so I thought.
Someone started knocking on the back door, right under where I was at. I figured it was my next door neighbor so I didn't rush to get it. I figured I'd finish feeding the baby and then run next door to see what she needed. The knocking got louder. It wasn't stopping. So I put Andrew down and went downstairs. Hunter was no longer watching a show. Weird. I opened the door to find Hunter with a cop. The cop had my car keys. Hunter was wearing ONLY a shirt. I was a little stunned. But if I had to admit it, it was really kinda funny and I wish I would have taken a picture. The cop didn't think it was funny at all. His words to me were 'Ma'am do you know how dangerous this is?" I was dying. All I could think of was 'do you have any idea how funny this is!?' I explained to the officer that I had been upstairs feeding the baby and thought he was downstairs watching a show. I explained how I locked the door, even putting the chain up, so that he couldn't get out. He obviously had moved a stool over and unlocked it. He had grabbed my van keys and was trying to get into the van. The alarm was going off when the cop drove through the neighborhood. I heard nothing upstairs, even though two of the windows faced the back where the van was. I still have no idea why he only had a shirt on, no shorts or even underwear. Or how he got my van keys. We kept them up on a hook.
In May (of this year) we were getting ready to head over to a friends house for a bbq. We were loading everyone in the car when we noticed Hunter wasn't where he was supposed to be. Trent looked downstairs, we looked in the back yard, kids started knocking on doors. I went back downstairs to check under beds and in closets. I even checked piles of blankets. We had been looking for about 10 mins and were starting to panic when Trent's cell phone rang. I was only hearing his side of things and the first thing he said was 'oh good, you found him!' It was dispatch for the county Sheriff's office. Apparently someone had seen him riding his bike on the side of the road and called the police. The police found him and asked him his name. He, however, didn't know his last name. He did know that his mom's name is Janel and his dad's name is Trent. They looked up utility information to track us down. A couple of minutes after dispatch called a officer showed up at our house. I figured he had Hunter with him. Nope. He came to check us out. Checked our ID, made sure we checked out. We told him that Hunter was known for getting away, we actually had put a lock on the gate and one of the bigger kids must have taken it off. We thought he was in the backyard playing, had no idea he had gotten out. We aren't even sure how long he had been gone for. The officer was very understanding. He thought it was a little funny even. We chatted with him for about 10 minutes, Hunter still had not shown up. The cop told us that Hunter refused to get into the car with the other officers. He was riding his bike home and two cars were following him home. Right as Trent jumped on his bike to go find him and ride home with him he came around the corner.
The officer that came to our house asked if it would be okay for him to take a picture of Hunter riding down the street with the cruisers lights on behind him to send to the dispatcher. I told him that was fine. He explained that the dispatcher often gets calls but never sees the out come of the call. The whole office got a kick out of Hunter.
We asked Hunter what on earth he was doing when he went out on his own. His answer: I was goin' on a hike. We explained that he was NEVER to go on a hike by himself ever again.
The next day we had him show us where he went on his 'hike'. He had gone up our street and around the corner, up the next street and then around the corner to a 4 lane, 50 mph road. He rode till the sidewalk ended and his bike got stuck. almost a mile away. He was turning around when a lady stopped him. She called the police and stayed with him till they showed up. Here's to hoping that is the last time a child is brought home to us by the police!
No comments:
Post a Comment