Thursday, March 6, 2014

January Birthdays

I am still trying to get caught up.  Having a new baby really throws off my game. It seems I spend much of my day feeding the baby and keeping Hunter out of trouble. One day I will have a clean house and I'll actually get dressed before noon, until then I will just take it as it comes.  I will have nasty bathrooms, toys all over the house, I'll look as if I've just fallen out of bed, and that's okay.

Hanna and Hunter's birthdays are both in January, 4 days apart. I try to make their day special, without combining them together.  This year we had just gotten back from Utah just before Hunter's birthday and I'm not too into having big parties for the kids, so we just had a couple friends over for cupcakes and ice cream.  Hunter had doughnuts for breakfast, he was in heaven!  He was sure to tell everyone he saw that day that it was his birthday.  However, whenever someone asked him how old he was he'd say 'I Hunter'.  We're still working on it.

His birthday was on a Sunday and since we have church at 9am I didn't have time to make him a special birthday breakfast, so I decided we'd do something fun and new for birthdays when there's no time in the mornings.  They will get a birthday doughnut.  Hunter LOVED it, so did Hanna!  So we'll keep on doing that.  We didn't take Hunter on a mommy daddy date this year.  He's still just a little too young, next year for sure though!  For his birthday dinner we had pasta with Italian sausage with fruit and cheesy bread.  All his favorites.  After dinner we had  lemon cupcakes with our neighbors.  A perfect little day for an incredibly curious little boy.

For Hanna's birthday I took her to the store the night before so she could pick out her birthday treats for her school class as well as her special birthday doughnuts as there is no time in the mornings to fix much of anything.  Hunter, Andrew, and I met up with her for lunch at school where Hunter actually ate a hamburger.  Hunter is a very picky eater, really doesn't eat many things and rarely tries new things. I didn't ask him to eat it, just got the lunch tray and set it in front of him.  He drank the chocolate milk, ate the grapes, and then picked up the hamburger at ate it.  He now asks for a hamburger all the time, however, he thinks the meat is sausage.  We came back to the school a few hours later so Hanna could hand out her birthday treat to her class.  She also got to bring a show and tell, she chose to bring Andrew for her show and tell.  He was about 5 weeks old and she loved showing him off to her class.

When Carter and Hanna got home from school there were a couple of cards and two packages to open.  The kids LOVE to get mail, so she was thrilled!  This girl loves all things girly; skirts, dresses, nail polish, she is begging for makeup--so not like her mother! So when she opened her gifts for Grandma Rhonda and Papa Blair--2 new skirts, and Grandma Cheri sent a skirt--she was excited.  It was really hard to get her to stand still to take a picture.  Then she got a card with a little money book in it.  (Hunter got one too)  Sure made this little girl feel extra special on her birthday.
Hanna chose dinner that night; pizza, of course.  That is her favorite!  Then we got Grandma and Papa Hunter on skype to sing 'Happy Birthday'.  She showed them all her gifts and chatted for a bit.  I had the kids all take baths before cake and ice cream as our family in UT are an hour behind us and we go to bed early here so I didn't want kids up too late.  Our wonderful neighbors came over again for some yummy chocolate cake.  We ate cake and chatted on skype with our family in UT.

For Hanna's birthday date she wanted to go to Joe's Crab Shack, Carter went there for his birthday date and has been talking about it ever since, so naturally she had to go there too. After lunch she wanted to go see Frozen.  We had to take Andrew with us, he was just too little for me to leave with the babysitter, so I didn't see the whole movie, but it was so fun to be with Hanna.  Our waiter dressed Hanna up and had her stand on her chair while the whole restaurant sang to her.  She was only a little embarrassed, but she did it! And she loved the attention she got!  It was a perfect 6th birthday!

1 comment:

Roberts Family said...

I can't believe how fast they are growing up. Time goes way too fast especially when you don't get to see them often. Lani saw Hunter with his birthday doughnut and I think was a little jealous, she loves those things.