Monday, November 4, 2013

Halloween


Trick or Treating was allowed on base from 6pm-8pm.  During that time no one was allowed on post without a DoD ID card.  The area that we live in on post isn't very big, if I had to guess I would say less than 50 families live on Infantry Post where we live.  The buildings are old, pre-WWII era, but they are beautiful. We set out right at 6 because our kids go to bed at 7:30.  We left a bucket of candy on our porch and headed out.  It was SO warm, around 86 degrees.  The first Halloween I've not thought about what I needed to layer under the kid's costumes to keep them warm. 
Hanna spotted her costume at costco almost a month before, she is Arial.  (I made her wear a shirt under it because it was huge and not so modest)   There was plenty of things for Carter to choose from down in the dress up bin.  I had bought a few costumes on clearance the year before so he had options.  Hunter, well I had no idea what he'd dress up as till a week before.  I stopped in at Kid-to-Kid and found that buzz costume.  It looked brand new, and it was only $5. A total score.  It is a size 4/6  so I had to tape up the legs and arms almost 8 inches, but he loved it!  While I was browsing the racks I saw that cowboy vest and hat Carter is wearing and thought it looked like a pretty awesome Woody, and for $2 it'll be a fun dress up too.  So I decided he'd be Woody and Hunter would be Buzz.  He loved the idea and so did Hunter.  He's really into Toy Story right now.

It was a beautiful sunny trick or treating night!  It was so fun to get out and actually meet a lot of our neighbors and see so many people out with their kids.
Hunter would giggle and squeal as he ran from house to house. He'd say 'trick-er-treat' and then 'thank you' and run to the next stop.  There were a lot of buckets set out on front porches, I'm sure families who wanted to be with their kids just like us.
They loved looking into each bowl and choosing what they wanted.  Carter stocked up on Butterfingers, he knows Trent loves them. 
This is our beautiful neighborhood.  There are two different style of houses here, there is a horseshoe shaped road that runs along the outside of the neighborhood that has the big white houses and then the rest are like the ones we live in, duplex style.
So many huge trees, and the grass, if you can call it grass, is green for the first time since we moved here.  There are squirrels everywhere and it hasn't gotten old yet for the kids to spot them and randomly yell 'squirrel!'  
This is our house, we love it.
 And the whole building, we are super fortunate to have awesome neighbors right next door to us.  We hang out back and chat, we rarely use the front door as the backdoor is where the carport is located.
The kids got LOADS of candy.  There were pretty happy with their haul.  I tried to get a picture of it, but they were moving too fast for the little point and shoot I have to get a good shot.
This was the best I got, and Hanna had started to pick her's up so she cold go get in the shower.  It was a fun Halloween!  What could be more exciting than dressing up and getting candy?!  It's a kids paradise for sure.

1 comment:

Roberts Family said...

You neighborhood is beautiful, love the houses. Very jealous about the 86 degree whether also. So glad you have nice neighbors and neighborhood.