Wednesday, August 29, 2012

How we roll around here

Sure has been a long time since I've posted (not that anyone has missed me, I mainly do this for my own records, you know, since I'm so good at keeping a journal:)  Our computer killed over half way though the summer leaving me with only my nook or Trent's little laptop (net book or note book, something like that)  And with the passing of our computer I was fortunate enough to loose two months of pictures.  SO, if anyone has any mad computer skills and can recover them, that would pretty much be awesome.  

We sit IN the dogs water bowl around here, yup it's true.  I cannot keep a water bowl in the house for fear of my floors being soaking wet and I can't let the baby out the back door without seeing this:
Too bad he's so cute! (notice the gate on the stairs, there will be no more babies falling off) Poor dogs have dirty water much too often as baby also loves to put sand in the water bowl.

What's that, you said 'dogs' 
Meet Kai, he was so much fun!  Was, you see cuz we only had him just over two weeks.  We've been fostering dogs for just over a year now (that's how Ronan came into our lives, we just decided we loved him and kept him) and Kai was our last foster.  He was a mix of some sort-pit bull, lab, maybe boxer--he was so goofy, and oh so patient with the baby who sat on him ALL the time.  I was actually a little sad when he left. He went to an awesome home where he will be spoiled with attention, and there will be no toddler to harass him anymore.

Funny story, okay two funny stories:
First --I'm totally laughing just thinking about it
I hear some noise upstairs.  Carter is yelling 'my head is stuck in the couch!'  Really, your head is stuck. How could that even happen, seriously, head stuck in the couch.  I let him holler a few more times before I go upstairs to see what is going on.  And I find this:
At this point he is near tears.  I totally busted up laughing and told him to hold still, I HAD to take a picture.  Seriously, you got your head stuck in the couch.  Who sticks their head in the couch!  Apparently he had pulled the little arm rest thing forward and then stuck his head in the hole and then couldn't get it back out.  Don't know why he stuck it in the hole, he didn't even know why he stuck his head in there.  Boys!  I still find the whole thing funny!
Second funny story:
I had been upstairs doing laundry and when I came back downstairs Hanna wasn't at the computer where I left her.  So I went outside to see if I could find her.  She wasn't there.  I came back in and went up stairs.  Not up there.  I called her name, a few times.  I went back outside and yelled her name (sorry neighbors)  No answer.  I walked in the front door, still yelling her name, and I hear 'I AM TRYING TO SLEEP HERE!' in the groggiest voice ever.  I spun to where the sound came from and I saw this:
She was totally passed out, on the couch in the front room.  Duh!  Why didn't I think to look there.  

School started!  Carter was beyond excited to go into first grade!  He is excited for homework even.  We met his teacher the day before school started, and he could hardly wait for school to start the next day.



 
He and I went shopping for new school clothes together, a mommy date.  He had a blast!  He really needed new school shoes and we spotted these sketchers and he has worn them every day since.  Side note; my child has the biggest feet.  He is almost 7 and wears a size 2.  Am I crazy or is he a little big foot?  When I was pregnant with him and had my 20 week ultrasound the tech who did it was obsessed with the size of his feet, seriously, she probably took 5 pictures just of his feet. Apparently they were huge from the start.

Remember a few months back I mentioned we'd be working with kids on the move for this guy
 Well, we have graduated from the program.  I have not bought baby food in over a month.  We took what he would eat and changed the texture ever so slightly; pancakes-add apples, chocolate chips, or banana.  Yogurt--and chunks of fruit or granola to it.  We taught him how to chew, before if he had to chew it he would spit it out.  I had NO IDEA that a baby had to be taught how to chew, nor did I know how to teach that.  I just figured it was part of the natural progression of growing.  Well, it is, he just didn't progress.  Anyhow, he is doing SO well.  We are so happy with the results.  The occupational therapist was amazing and taught us how to help him.  Now we can pretty much feed him what we are eating.  He's still really picky, but he is a toddler.  As he accepted more food textures his speech exploded--remember how those two things are connected.  He now has over 20 words, and picks up a new one every day.  The area he was most delayed in was receptive language, he is now at a normal developmental level.  We are so thrilled with the progress he has made in the last 3 month working with Kids On The Move!

Oh, and can you tell, he loves shoes!  If you leave your shoes lying around he will get them, and wear them.  Trent had his soccer cleats out the other night and Hunter found them and put them on and tromped around the house in them.  When Trent went to leave he had to go find Hunter and steal his cleats back, that was one very unhappy baby!   

Maybe later I'll get up to posting about our summer adventures.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad he is doing so well!

Aimee said...

Sounds like you guys are doing really well. That is hilarious that Hunter sits in the dog water bowl and that Carter got his head stuck! Nate is pretty good with computers, if you want to ask him to look at it, no guarantees, but he might be able to get your pictures. And Congrats to Carter on starting school, is this kindergarten or first grade now? Ps. Those feet are huge. I wear a size 3 or 3.5 in boys so he's just behind me ;)

kenna said...

i laughed so hard.

i miss these kids, and you guys, so bad it hurts.

COME TO OHIO.

Dave and Kristin said...

Seriously I can't stop laughing about carter getting his head stuck!! That is hilarious! Bring your computer over and I'm sure Dave can find your pics. He was able to find a years worth of lost pics for his brother when their computer crashed so I'm sure he could find them! Just give me a call.

Rappleye Family said...

Look at your kids!!!! They are huge!!! The ward is definitely not the same anymore! We hope to be outta here by the ending of the year :)

Roberts Family said...

LOVE the picture of Carter's head in the couch!! Laughed so hard.