Friday, July 10, 2009

I've been out smarted by a spider

Have I ever mentioned how much I HATE spiders. Well, I've now been out smarted by one, maybe two, maybe it was the same one. One that looks like this:


You see, I hate spiders so much that when I see one, IT WILL DIE!!! If Trent is home, he does the killing, and since kids have come along the raid can isn't used as much, so I have to work up the courage to kill the darn thing myself, and let me tell you, it's not easy. A couple of days ago I was sitting in the front room, alone, kids were sleeping and Trent was at work. When I see some movement on the floor. SPIDER, I feel a little panicked. I grab a near by shoe, not mine of course...once I put a shoe on and squished a spider with my foot, that's a story for another day...I'm sure I grabbed one of Trent's seeing they are the biggest. I slam that shoe down over and over again on top of that thing. It curls up into the I'm dead position, I push it to the side of the room, you see I'M NOT GOING TO TOUCH IT, I'll get the vacuum when the kids wake up. Well kids wake up, I forget till later, I remember that thing on the floor on the side and go to look at it, it's not there. Hmmm, maybe Trent saw it and threw it away. On to this morning, I go in to do Hanna's hair in her room. As I walk into the door I notice something out of the corner of my eye, huge, okay I'm totally not joking, it really was huge, red spider crawling up the wall. I go grab one of Trent's big hiking boots, I check the inside to make sure there's no spiders in it first of course, and I pound the spider ON THE WALL with the boot. Spider falls to the ground, guess I was just a little off with my pounding. Spider is still alive. So I pound him into the carpet. He curls up into the I'm dead pose, you know that one that ALL spiders do when you've killed 'em. I push him off to the side of the wall so he's not in the middle of the room satisfied that he's dead. Sit down to do Hanna's hair. As I get up to leave I look behind the door, cuz that's where he was now laying. AND HE'S GONE! WHAT. THE. HECK. I thought I killed it. How does a spider out smart me?! He pretended to be dead?! And that was when I remembered the first spider that I thought I killed. Now I go into panic mode, I've got to leave the house and let off bug bombs....where did that thing go. I move the dirty clothes bin, not behind it, I look in Carters room on the floor, down the hall, I move the things from Hanna's room praying that it doesn't come flying at me. Cuz I'd probably flip, and then pass out. Did I mention I hate spiders? Deep breath, stay calm, maybe it's some WEIRD ghost spider, once it's dead it disappears, sounds good to me. Or Maybe it's on me, yes, I took off my clothes! Not on me, thank goodness! I finish getting ready so we can head out the door for Hanna's 18 month check up, run into Hanna's room to get a diaper for the diaper bag, and what is crawling across the floor!! I must have injured the darn thing as he appeared to have a little limp, I ran and grabbed the boot, and this time I MADE sure it was all the way dead!!! No more disappearing spiders for me! Trent would be so proud of me, I killed a spider all by my self, and I didn't even scream!

9 comments:

Trent and Janel Lyman said...

Sounds like you killed it three times. Maybe spiders are like cats and have more than one life.

Rappleye Family said...

That gave me the willeys!!! AHHH!! UGH! I hate them too. and a red spider??? Thats like EVIL!! Thats freaky Janel, maybe it has a family in your house too that are waiting to attack you!! I am still grossed out! I feel like I have a spider crawling on me now! I am proud that he is dead! I hope you FLUSHED HIM!! :) Glad things are going well I know I haven't seen you much. We have just been busy with missionary farewells, baby blessings, the price is right...etc ha ha!! Have a good weekend!

Kayla said...

I am so itching all over my body right now. I hate spiders too! But I will kill them. I just have to use a whole roll of toilet paper/paper towels/wipes to kill the thing!

Rappleye Family said...

k so right after I read your post there was a spider on the wall....no lie!

Dave and Kristin said...

That was hilarious!! That so reminded of our college days and me and you with the RAID can! We had some big ones in our apartment! I can't stand spiders and even have a hard time using a shoe, so your brave. I can't stand hearing the crunch! Dave gets all the spiders in our house and if he's not home then I go get my father-in-law!! I won't go near the things!! By the way I heard you guys bought a house? You need to call me and fill me in on the details!! So exciting!

Steve and Hailey said...

EW! I hate ants for the same reason. I swear they pretend to be dead and then carry right on with their wicked plans. GAG! Did you actually take that picture of the spider? It is huge!

Erin said...

Bleck gag yuck shudder.

Kristin said...

I'm with you! I hate them. I got bit by a brown recluse in Houston and now I'm even more scared than ever. Don't move to Texas. They have humongous bugs and spiders.

Flagmeier Family said...

Funny!!! I would have loved to be a fly...not the spider on the wall. You crack me up Janel! I love the way you told the story...I can totally visualize you!! Check out my blog when you get a chance! I finally learned how to post a blog and photo. Yes, I am a bit slow!