Thursday, May 24, 2012

Miracle

Do you believe in miracles?  Cuz I do!

About a year ago the top step on our deck broke.  Half of the step gave way as someone stepped on it, and we've never fixed it.  We usually keep a baby gate at the bottom to keep Hunter off the deck, as well as anyone who might be visiting as having someone fall would be just horrible.  

Well, last night horrible happened.  I was in the kitchen getting dinner ready.  I heard little feet up on the deck and knew Hunter had gotten up the stairs.  This wasn't the first time he's gone up the stairs, he's always made it back down without any trouble, but still I don't want him up there.  I decided I'd finish what I was doing and then go get him when I heard a rustling noise and then a thud.  I waited just a second to see if maybe it was nothing, I waited for a scream.  I didn't hear anything.  That worried me even more.  I ran outside and Hunter was laying on the ground, knees tucked up under his belly, his face to the fence.  As I approached him he picked up his head and started to cry.  I immediately knew he had fallen through the step, hitting the concrete slab about 10 feet below.  I had no idea if  he had passed out or just had the wind knocked out of him so he couldn't scream right away. I scooped him up and brought him inside.  I didn't really know what to do.  So with the screaming baby in my arms I called Trent at work.  He picked up on the first ring.  I was trying hard not to panic.  I told him what happened and he said he'd call me right back after he found out if he could leave.  I called my sister and asked her to come hang out with kids.  I grabbed an ice pack out of the freezer and held it to his face.  I found his blankey and gave it to him, and he started to go to sleep.  I'm not a medical professional, but I have been 1st aid certified a time or two and know that going to sleep after a head injury isn't the best thing.  It was almost like he had fallen asleep, I couldn't really wake him up and he wouldn't look at me when I called his name.  This freaked me out! I look Hunter over quickly and couldn't see any sign of where he had hit the ground other than his face.  I really didn't know if we should take him to the ER or call his doctor or just wait it out, as it could be just a little scrap on the face and having a husband for and ER nurse I know you just don't run to the ER whenever.  Trent got here the same time as my sister and after looking at him decided that we'd better play it safe and just take him in.  We decided to take him to Orem Community ER since we are really close and Trent works there.  Off we went.  

The ER was busy.  That is never the case there.  They are usually dead. All rooms were full and there was a staff meeting going on too.  We got in really quickly and they put us in where the staff meeting was just ending, which we were okay with us since Trent knows them all.  We were sent down for at CT scan, just to make sure all the bones in his face were still intact but mostly to make sure there was no damage to his brain (bleeding or swelling).  Hunter was still acting very sleepy, he wanted to be held and snuggled, and if you know this kid you'll know he's not that way at all. He loves to be held, but NOT snuggled.  Trying to get him to hold still for the scan was a little tricky, but he did it and we didn't have to sedate him.  The scan came back and showed that he was just fine. No brain bleed.  No swelling.  No broken facial bones.  However, he did have a sinus infection, totally unrelated to the fall though.  So we were on our way after spending 2 hrs in the ER.  Relieved that he was just fine.

This is where he fell from (the stair has since been fixed)
We think it's about 10 feet.  I found him laying next to the beam with his face pointing toward the fence.  The only thing we can figure is that he slipped through the stairs while trying to come back down.

The only marks on him are these:

And I don't think they are that bad.  He's also got some scrapes on his arms, but nothing too serious.

I have only one explanation for why he came out as good as he did; my baby was caught by an angel.  He had to have had hit the bbq grill on the way down.  I didn't hear it, I was standing right inside the house with the window and door open.  Carter and Hanna were sitting in the sand box, right under the stairs, and didn't see or hear anything.  The only noise I heard was the thud of him hitting the cement. There are NO marks on his body that tell me where he landed, not a single bruise.  His hips are a little sore, but he is walking around some, not normally, but trying.  He does have a little spot on the back of his head that is swollen, but I'm sure he whacked his head coming through the steps.  Trent answered his phone at work, he never does that!  Coincidence, not a chance.  Miracle, yes!


4 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad he's OK!!! That is scary. We've had some close calls of our own...when I stop to think about the could-have-beens I get all shuddery inside. Angels indeed!!!!

Becki said...

Wow...so glad he's ok...that post gave me chills Janel!!! He really did have angels watching and protecting him!!! That's one special little boy you've got there!!! Glad it turned out ok and that the step is fixed!!!

Erin said...

Thank goodness. That is super scary. This will be quite the story when he grows up. I'm sure he will love hearing it over and over.

lizlarry.anderson said...

Hi Janel! It's been awhile since I've checked out your blog. What an inspirational story! I'm so glad your darling boy is OK. The scariest things can and do happen and I thank the Lord everytime when He prevents these. This is why we pray for our families EVERYDAY! You have a beautiful family:)